zondag 27 augustus 2017

Nickie 045



The singer was listening closely for a long while. Just when the inventor was about to come with a new suggestion, she said in a low voice

"I'm only hearing snippets and snatches of the piano but enough to recognize the style. There is a marked syncopation and it's definitely ragtime. The pianist does not seem to be making any mistakes. But what puzzles me is that it's played much slower than normal"

"Keep listening and try to memorize some fragments if you can"

"I'll try, but no guarantees given"

Another long silence followed.

"The pianist just stopped playing. Fortunately he or she went through the rag several times. Shall I try to hum the fragments for you now they are still in my head?"

"Yes, please"

Highly concentrated, the lady started humming. The inventor kept quiet as an Egyptian mummy. He noticed that she now kept her eyes closed but he decided not to interfere.

"I'm afraid that's all I can remember. It's definitely not a Scott Joplin rag. His style was different. It rings a bell but I can't think of the name of the rag"

"Please keep your eyes closed. Can I lilt a bit for you?"

"If you wish. Hold on.... The sounds in the park have changed. This is strange. I'd swear that...."

"Yes. I will explain it to you in a minute. Please keep your eyes closed"

The inventor started lilting and the lady nodded.

"That's it. You filled in all the missing parts and it all made sense"

"You were right. It's not a Joplin rag. I have it in my head. Listened to it many times in the 1970's"

"Go away. Can I open my eyes now?"

"Yes, you can. But be prepared for a surprise"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten