zondag 27 augustus 2017

Nickie 042



"Are you getting tired, or am I mistaken?"

"Yes, I am. So many impressions to absorb. But the main problem is my right arm. How on earth did people manage to keep one arm raised all day?"

"Ah, the answer is simply that they only used their lorgnette if they absolutely needed to focus on something special. I'm convinced that at least some of the adults you were watching in the park are shortsighted. There was a taboo on full time eyewear in those days"

"I would be completely lost if I'd have to head for the stage without this lorgnette. It would be a very uncomfortable situation. Or did nobody have minus seven in 1900?"

"Believe it or not, but the famous French actress Sarah Bernhardt had a prescription of minus ten and she never used her lorgnette in public. She did all her theater performance without any visual aid"

"I can imagine what you are telling me about the stage. But on all other occasions? Hold on...."

"Is anything happening nearby?"

"Yes, a man with a big dog is walking the path towards me. And the dog...."

"Take the lorgnette off straightaway and you will be safe"

To her delight, the singer landed back in the present within a split second.

"That was a close call. I'm back in the fog.... Can you hand me my own glasses? Thank you, that's better"

"Welcome back. What happened? Was the dog about to attack you?"

"I'm not sure, but the dog must have seen me or smelled me. And then it started growling. It seemed better not to take any chances. But your glasses are magic indeed. Thank you for this extraordinary experience"

"Well, you can have another experience if you try the pince-nez. Or shall we take a break?"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten