maandag 30 juli 2018

Whitney 116



"And where did you first see her? On this bridge?"

"No. It happened in the city center. She was standing at a tram stop and I cycled past. We spotted each other. Like, who is that? The second time we smiled at each other. I had my guitar with me, hanging at the steering wheel. I had a summer job in a printing shop. They made record sleeves. The vinyl albums, you know. Working there was a treat. It made me feel.... well, free compared to the preparatory high school. A week later I cycled homeward from the city, late in the evening. Again with the guitar at the steering wheel. It happened at the far side of the park, the border between the old houses and the newly built suburb. A wasteland zone between the old and the new part. And I saw an young woman standing on one leg. Next to her a moped with a damaged wheel. She was across the road. So I stopped and we recognized each other. She did not look surprised. So I went to her and asked if she needed help. She told me that she just had an accident and one of her feet was injured. I offered to carry her moped and asked her if she could cycle with the guitar at the steering wheel. She pointed in the direction of this part of the city. And off we went, very slowly. It took us ages but finally we reached the street where she lived and landed on the doorstep. Second floor. She said, "So sweet of you to help me. Will you come and see me next week?". "A visit to the patient?". She smiled and said, "Yes, something like that". And we agreed a day and time. Apologies for the long story".

"No need for an apology, I'm all ears. And I'm slowly getting used to the glasses. So you had a date".

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten