zaterdag 28 juli 2018

Whitney 089



"You are really in your element, Mr. Photographer. Don't tell me that what we are doing here is new to you".

"Well, it's new in a way. This is about my childhood. Sweet memories, sad memories and discovery".

"Can you tell me a bit more about the years in this big house? What was it like to live here in the early sixties?"

"When we arrived here, this place felt like a palace to me. All the luxury. The down side was that it made me feel smaller because the house was so big. I even felt a bit lost during the first months here. And then there was the pressure of sky high expectations. It was not easy to be called a genius by other children and to get blamed by adults if my mind was elsewhere. I finished primary school at the age of ten and it was uneasy to start at a prestigious preparatory high school where all the other pupils were two years older. You can see that high school from the bridge. It's only a three minute walk. What I liked best about this place were the friends we could play with. Life in the apartment at the Lane was rather isolated but the world opened up when we moved to this big house. And we got a baby sister here and I felt proud of being her big brother. A few months later, my eccentric Gran with the glasses died. I missed her, but there was no way to talk about it. That's the story in a nutshell".

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten