zondag 29 juli 2018

Whitney 108



Glasses: Rodenstock (Toxy), 1963 / 1964
[L=R: -1.25]

The inventor and the model walked to the bridge and they enjoyed the view over the canal.

"So this is where you tried a bobsleigh career. You also told me that this was the border of the city when you lived in the big house. Is that a park I'm looking at?"

"Yes. It was already there when I was a child. My Gran and her sister went there for a walk with me a few times. It's more lively now than it was in those days".

"And what's that immense building on the left?"

"Ah, that's a congress center. It was built during the early sixties. That was the end of our playground with three tall trees. You could climb one of the stems and then carefully make a traverse to the next tree at a height of twelve feet. We used planks to connect the solid branches of the trees. Playing we were chimpanzees but we failed miserably. I was envious with the arm power of the Big Apes. And we played cowboys against Indians. Most of the boys preferred the cowboy role but I always chose to play an Indian".

"Do you have any vintage glasses with you that have a connection with this bridge?"

"Yes, two or three. One of them is from 1963 or 1964, definitely. Would you like to try them on?"

"It's worth a try. Maybe I can see the lock again. And the trees".

The inventor checked the shoe box. Out came a black pair and two orange pairs.

"Wow, I never saw orange glasses".

"I will tell you about them later on, but can we start with the earliest pair?"

"Sure. The black glasses. Where did you get them?"

"Ah, that's a long story but the management summary will do. Twenty years ago I had a five year relationship with a clairvoyant lady who always hated her glasses although she had an excellent taste for frames. She heard that I was a collector and she gave me a box filled with all her old glasses. This was the earliest pair in the box. We went through old photo albums, telling life stories. And that's how I managed to establish a chronology".

"They don't look strong at all. Alright, let's try. Never seen the style. Did the parapet of this bridge change since you lived around the corner?"

"No. Why are you asking?"

The model did not answer. Instead, she installed herself on the parapet.

"Remember I'm a rock climber. Nothing wrong with my balance". Don't forget to snap".

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten