maandag 2 januari 2017

Emma 327



I will never forget my first sighting of a lady in blended myodisc glasses. It happened on a summer day in 1988 during holidays with my wife and daughter in Austria. We did some shopping in a town called Kufstein, near the Bavarian border. A group of six people came standing next to me and they were in a lively talk. One of the ladies was sporting the most fascinating glasses I ever saw in my life. The frame really suited her but the lenses were intriguing. They changed aspect with the slightest movement of her head. I could see that the lenses were extremely strong but entirely different than the myodisc glasses often seen in my youth. What struck me was the lively, outward attitude of this lady. There was nothing "handicapped" about her. Ladies in myodisc glasses were always shy when they felt that someone was looking at them. Ten years later I came across an extraordinary pair of glasses in a thrift store and immediately recognized the lens type seen in Kufstein. It took another five years to come across the name "blended myodisc" glasses. They always remained white ravens in the streets and I can only remember a handful of sightings. The last sighting was about ten years ago. My collection hosts half a dozen glasses with blended myodisc lenses. The pair shown here to great effect by lovely Emma was frequently used during the first years of the project but not lately. Some names of the past, for comparison: Gita 257, Lettie 161, Farishta 396, Marleen 241, Petra 189, Leonne 147, Melissa 227, Grazyna 040, Emilia 267, Osi 222, Sohaila 106 and Juliette 113. High time for a comeback....

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten